YOUR LANDSCAPE IMPACTS THE ECONOMY
Okay so its no secret, the economy is terrible! Housing markets are not doing much
better either. The value of homes are plummeting faster than we know it. There is a
bright side however, you can tap into real equity you probably were not aware of.
Are you thinking about remodeling? Having Granite counter tops installed or new
kitchen cabinets? Maybe you would like new Hardwood floors or carpet. Are you
thinking about selling your home or already in the process? Well here are some
things you should consider first!
The research has been done and these are the facts:
• Landscaping can add between 7 and 15 percent to a home's value.
Source: The Gallup Organization.
• Homes with "excellent" landscaping can expect a sale price about 6 to 7 percent higher than equivalent houses with "good" landscaping, while improving landscaping from "average" to "good" can result in a 4 to 5 percent increase.
Source: Clemson University.
• Landscaping can bring a recovery value of 100 to 200 percent at selling time. Kitchen remodeling brings a 75 to 125
percent recovery rate, bathroom remodeling a 20 to 120 percent recovery rate, and addition of a swimming pool a 20 to 50 percent recovery rate.
Source: Money Magazine.
• A mature tree can often have an appraised value of between $1,000 and $10,000.
Source: Council of Tree and Landscape Appraisers.
• In one study, 99% of real estate appraisers concurred that landscaping enhances the sales appeal of real estate.
Source: Trendnomics, National Gardening Association.
• In one study, 83% of Realtors believe that mature trees have a "strong or moderate impact" on the stability of homes listed for under $150,000; on homes over $250,000, this perception increases to 98%.
Source: American Forests, Arbor National Mortgage.
Wow! Those numbers are astounding. But you might be asking yourself "What do they mean for me as a homeowner?"
Okay, Let's say for instance your home is worth $200,000. But you want to raise the value. You invest $5,000 upgrading to Granite counter tops, and now your home might be worth $206,500. Thats only a 30% return on your money. Or you could invest that $5,000 into landscaping your property. This could increase the value of your home to $215,000 or more. That’s a 200% return on your money! Landscaping is a great investment that not only adds significant value to your home but striking beauty.
So landscaping is the right choice financially, but what about the environment? Here are the facts on how your landscape can make the world a better place.
• CO2 is one of the major contributing elements to the greenhouse effect. Trees trap CO2 from the atmosphere and make carbohydrates that are used for plant growth. They give us oxygen in return. According to ColoradoTree.org, about 800 million tons of carbon are stored in the trees that make up the urban forests of the U.S. This translates to a savings of $22 billion in control costs. Mature trees can absorb roughly 48 pounds of CO2 a year. The tree in turn releases enough oxygen to sustain two human beings.
Source: Clean Air Gardening.
• Landscaping can reduce air conditioning costs by up to 50 percent, by shading the windows and walls of a home. Source: American Public Power Association.
• Trees can reduce bothersome noise by up to 50 percent and can mask unwanted noises with pleasant sounds.
Source: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
• Trees can reduce temperatures by as much as nine degrees Fahrenheit.
Source: American Forests.
• A single urban tree can provide up to $273 a year in air conditioning, pollution fighting, erosion and storm water control, and wildlife shelter benefits.
Source: American Forests.
When your house and other houses in the neighborhood maintain manicured landscapes and pruned trees, it helps stabilize and even raise the home values. Landscapes are most often over looked by home owners who focus primarily on the inside of their home. However landscaping are the first thing anyone sees when approaching your home or driving through the neighborhood. Make a great first impression. The truth is, landscapes are one of the most important, if not the most important part of the value and appeal of your home. Take heed to the research above, make the right choice.
If you are considering making an upgrade to your home or putting it on the market, call the experts at Scranton Landscaping LLC, and get the value and beauty you deserve. Contact Us Today!